Mastectomy is a broad term for different procedures. Apart from removing one or both breasts, this term also refers to removing lymph nodes in the armpit area in order to know if the cancer has spread.
Types Of Mastectomy
Simple – This will involve the removal of the entire breast – these include the areola, nipple, and breast tissue. Often, a sentinel lymph node might be done during this procedure.
Modified Radical – This will involve the removal of the entire breast, which includes the areola, breast tissue, nipple, and most of the lymph nodes in the armpit. This procedure might be recommended for big tumors or when the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes already.
Nipple-sparing or subcutaneous – This will involve the removal of the breast tissue only, leaving the areola and nipple. Immediately afterward, breast reconstruction will be done.
Skin-sparring – This will involve the removal of the areola, nipple and breast tissue but not the breast skin. Breast reconstruction will also be performed after. This is not recommended for larger tumors.
In case you do not want to undergo breast reconstruction, you can just opt for breast prosthesis, which is a breast form made of foam, silicone gel, or other materials. It can either be placed directly on top of the skin or perhaps in the pocket of a special bra. It is highly advised that you consult with your health care provider before choosing this option. He or she will help you choose the best type that will fit your lifestyle. Know that this can only be properly fitted weeks after the breast removal procedure.
What To Look For In Mastectomy Garments
- It must be custom fitted to the user.
- It must come in different materials, styles, and types to properly support all the activities of the user.
- It must be of high-quality. A reliable indication of quality is how even and tight the stitches are.
- It must come with a guarantee. This will make sure that the item has the best fit and production quality. Also, choose a brand offering great customers service for checking up on how the garments are working for the user’s benefit.
- It must come with instructions on how to use it. How the products must be worn in order to flatter as well as support the shape of the user must be provided by the manufacturer. Apart from that, information on how the user can maintain its beauty and functionality for quite a very long time must also be provided.
There are a couple of mastectomy or lymphedema items you must purchase before undergoing mastectomy. Be sure to opt for items with excellent quality.